Kalmin Oleg Vital'evich, Doctor of medical sciences, professor, head of the sub-department of human anatomy, Medical Institute, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), E-mail: email@example.com
Koretskaya Ekaterina Aleksandrovna, Senior lecturer, sub-department of dentistry, Medical Institute, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), E-mail: Kat3974@ya.ru
Zyul'kina Larisa Alekseevna, Doctor of medical sciences, associate professor, head of the sub-department of dentistry, Medical Institute, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. Research data on the variability of the dimensions of dental arches’ width are very diverse, contradictory and insufficiently studied, since in most cases they were carried out without taking into account the relationship with the craniotype, gender and sex characteristics. The purpose of the research is to study the variability of the parameters of the dental arches’ width in individuals of different gender and age, depending on the shape of the skull.
Materials and methods. The object of the study was 204 people of different sexes aged from 21 to 60 years old. On the plaster models of the upper and lower jaws, the dental arches’ width was measured at the level of the first premolars and the first molars at the points proposed by Pont. The subjects measured the longitudinal and transverse diameter of the head.
Results. In the first age period, the parameters of the dental arches’ width in the area of the first premolars and first molars predominate in men, compared to women, both on the upper and lower jaws. In the second age period, similar indicators are statistically significantly higher in women. In female individuals, the dental arches’ width increases from the first period of adulthood to the second period on the upper and lower jaws. In men, the dental arches’ width decreases from the first period to the second, except for the area of the premolars of the upper jaw.
Conclusions. The data obtained should be taken into account for diagnosis and treatment planning in patients with anomalies and deformities of the maxillofacial region.
1. Vovk Ju. N., Vovk O. Ju. Vestnik problem biologii i mediciny [Bulletin of problems of biology and medicine]. 2016, no. 2, pp. 376–379. [In Russian]
2. Gaĭvoronskiĭ I. V., Bajbakov S. E. Vestnik jeksperimental'noĭ i klinicheskoĭ hirurgii [Bulletin of experimental and clinical surgery]. 2008, no. 1, pp. 62–69. [In Russian]
3. Nikolaev V. G., Medvedeva N. N., Savenkova T. M., Jusupov R. D., Sindeeva L. V. Sibirskoe medicinskoe obozrenie [Siberian Medical Review]. 2015, no. 1 (91), pp. 60–63. [In Russian]
4. Chekanin I. M. Vzaimosvjaz' formy i razmerov zubnyh dug s parametrami kraniofacial'nogo kompleksa pri mezocefalii: dis. kand. med. nauk: 14.00.02 [The relationship of the shape and size of dental arches with the parameters of the craniofacial complex in mesocephaly: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of medical sciences: 14.00.02].olgograd, 2005, 98 p. [In Russian]
5. Jacobson A. American Joumal Of Orthodontics add Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2006, no. 1, p. 81.
6. Fishhev S. B., Lepilin A. V., Agashina M. A., Balahnichev D. N. Evrazijskij Sojuz Uchenyh [Eurasian Union of Scientists]. 2016, no. 2-2, pp. 95–99. [In Russian]
7. Domenjuk D. A., Dmitrienko S. V., Vedeshina Je. G., Orfanova Zh. S. Stomatologija detskogo vozrasta i profilaktika [Pediatric dentistry and prevention]. 2015, no. 3, pp. 59–63. [In Russian]
8. Arbutina A., Cupic S., Umicevic-Davidovic M. et al. Glasnik Antropoloskog Drustva Srbije [Bulletin of the Anthropological Society of Serbia]. 2012, no. 47, pp. 41–50.
9. Park S.-J., Leesungbok R., Song J.-W. et al. Journal of Advanced Prosthodontics. 2011, no. 9 (5), pp. 321–328.
10. Muzurova L. V., Solov'eva M. V., Shelud'ko S. N. Privolzhskiĭ nauchnyj vestnik [Volga regional scientific bulletin]. 2013, no. 3, pp. 119–124. [In Russian]
11. Efimova E. Ju., Krajushkin A. I., Efimov Ju. V. Sechenovskij vestnik [Sechenov bulletin]. 2018, no. 4, pp. 28–33. [In Russian]